Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Noodle in a Haystack

The fantasy Playoffs are upon us, if you drafted C-Pep and Ahman Green in rounds 1 and 2, you probably aren’t in them. Unless of course you were as lucky as me. What follows is the story of how I spaced out on the draft, forgot to auto rank my players and still managed to salvage the season. I don’t recommend following this path, but it shows that you that you should never give up on a season.

While I was eating dinner on a Friday Night, Wikkid, Creek and the rest of the league were drafting without me. By the time I realized that I was snoozing on the draft it was already the 12th round. I got to the Draft room just in time to see my team auto draft a 2nd TE. Ugh! This was going to be an tough year.

When my pick came around in the 14th, I had been able to evaluate my team thus far:

C-Pep, A. Green, Gates, Chris Brown, D. Bennett, Driver, Moose, Baltimore, Elam, Staley, Pennington, and Eric Johnson.

Clearly I was in dire need of another RB. The pickings were slim, but I was able to steal a forgotten gem named Mewelde Moore. Thankfully, the same crappy yahoo rankings that had caused me to draft 2 TEs before a 4th RB had also hidden Moore so far down the list that even in a league full of sharks he managed to go unnoticed.

A round later I fell right back into trouble, running out of time while trying to take Stephen Davis, I ended up instead with David Boston. What ever happened to David Boston anyway? I finished up Darius Watts and Eric Parker, missing out on Willie parker by a pick in the last round, having suddenly remembered him just moments after taking Watts.

Week 1 arrived and I was soundly punished for my draft shenanigans. The fantasy gods do not look kindly upon those who blow off drafts and I was rewarded with ZERO TDs for the week.

By week 7, I was lucky to be 2-4-1 thanks to a couple of squeaking victories, but I found myself without My 2 top picks. With C-Pep and Green gone, I had to dig deep and play for my fantasy pride. I knew that probably had no real shot at winning the league anymore, but I felt it was my duty to remain competitive, even if I had missed the draft and been beset by injuries. I decided that the only way I could do this was to grab the players that backed up injured guys, and that I would have to do it over and over again. The rejuvenated Mark Brunell would become an every week starter, I also picked up Joe Jurevicius on a lark and he has been in my lineup ever since.

Then inweek 10 the miracle happened. There is a Gado, his name is Samkon. 103 yards and 2 TDs from a no name practice squad player from Liberty, what more could the Rip Van Winkle of fantasy sports ask for.

Five weeks later, I had locked up the #3 seed. After dropping a meaningless final game, I had managed to finish with a respectable 7-5-1. In a random Yahoo Public League, many surely would have quit. I take great pride in my return from the fantasy dead.

At press time, my ramshackle team of misfits has just won its first playoff game, making my bunch one of the last 4 standing. While I am far from proud of my draft night debacle, I think I have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no excuse for quitting on a league. If I can get a shot at the title with the likes of Samkon Gado, J-Jure, and Brunell then anyone can climb out of an early hole.
Let this be a lesson. There is never an excuse to quit on your team, or your league.

1 comment:

Professor Ellis D Trails said...

now you get to play me in the semi's and I beat you 93-74 for your last loss other than the last week of the season to buzzman.

The fighting pacers cannot continue this torrid pace.